Hi, there! Woo-woo, we made it to Friday! When it's a Friday that finishes off the first week of a new school year, that's cause for major celebration!
I haven't mentioned her here, but a few weeks ago I was wrecked when I learned about the death of a fun mom and blogger from Arkansas. Her name was Leslie Sisti, and she passed from lifelong heart complications at only 30 years old. I've always enjoyed her blog and instagram stream. She hosted a fun link-up called Confessional Friday each week, but I never participated. One of the things the blogging community wanted to do to honor her legacy was to keep the Confessional Friday tradition going. So now that I'm blogging more regularly, I figured today would be as good a day as any to jump in and contribute mine!
1. My new favorite (cheap) guilty fast-food pleasure? The Beefy Fritos Burrito at Taco B*ll. It's got meat, sauce, cheese sauce (yum!!), rice and crunchy Fritos in it. It's amazing. And only A DOLLAR! I got our kids hooked on them this summer, and I think even J secretly likes them even though he HATES the Bell. (He's a B*eno man all the way.)
2. I am an ice-cruncher for life. I don't care if it's wrong or if it's bad for my teeth, as they say. I LOVE it. And I'm in the minority around these parts...the little pellet-shaped ice that most people love here is not my favorite. I think it melts too quickly and waters down drinks. It's not as fun to chew, either. Give me regular chunkier ice from a refrigerator that's slightly melted and softer any day.
3. On that note, I also LOVE the smell of a freezer. What is it about that, you ask? I have no idea. I hear sometimes that it could be a symptom of low iron, along with liking the scent of soil, which I do as well. I do happen to have low iron, so maybe that's where it stems.
4. I am loving school being back in session. It's so wonderful for me to have a few hours to focus on what needs to be done around the house without interruption. I think I'd be a great working mom for that reason. I love my children, don't get me wrong, but the hours during the school day absolutely feed my soul.
5. The after-school hours are kicking my butt this year. I decided last night that it's very reminiscent of living in the newborn stages with our children when I'd get the sads in the evenings. I'd feel despair over not having grasped a "new normal", like I was never going to feel "together" again from the major life transition, though after a few weeks I finally got into a groove and regulated emotionally and felt worlds better. It's a much lesser degree today than the newborn stage, thankfully, and I know that in a few weeks we'll have found a groove and it'll all feel much better again. But it is good to recognize and name it for what it is, I believe.
6. Conversely, I've developed a daytime routine for myself this week, and it's felt wonderful. I can't believe I fell into a daytime groove so quickly! I think I'd already been sensing what my days needed to look like in the days leading up to school starting, so it was a natural transition. I've even managed to exercise and write three out of four days this week! I feel wonderful!
7. I confess that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to blog design, but I knew I wanted a bit of a change around here. Yesterday I played around with templates and colors and came up with this. It's not perfect, but it's satisfactory for now. I changed my picture, too. In my last one, I was 25 pounds heavier, so it was time for a better representation! I'm determined to figure blog design out all on my own. I love the look of the expensive, custom-designed layouts, but I'm too frugal for that.
No kid pictures today or family-related business to report. Just keeping it light and fun on a Friday! Happy weekend!